ORDERING A CUSTOM PIECE FROM MARYGWYNETH
New to having a garment made for you? Here’s how it works.
- Contact MaryGwyneth about what design you want made to fit you, or whether it’s a custom design.
- Mary will contact you to discuss your needs. We’ll talk about your preferences, needs, budget, and how best to handle fittings. Mary may ask you to send style photos, descriptions, or links to designs that you like.
- If you are ordering an off the shelf design in standard sizing, MaryGwyneth will simply invoice you, and when payment is received, make the garment as ordered.
- If you are ordering a custom fit garment and live far from northern New York State, you’ll want to find an experienced local garment alterations sewer or tailor for fittings. Send MaryGwyneth that person’s contact information so we can get in touch about any fitting details. You’ll be responsible for paying that person.
- MaryGwyneth sets up a custom listing for you on Etsy or send you an online invoice through a payment processor. If it’s an existing design, then there is one payment up front. If this is your first order with MaryGwyneth, then the garment’s price will include the cost of preparing a muslin draft of the garment for pre-fitting. In some reorder cases, we can use a prior order’s muslin for fitting purposes. If it is a custom design, there will be separate invoices for 1) the design and muslin test garment, and 2) the finished garment.
- You send payment. When payment is processed, work begins.
- Mary sends you fabric swatches, measurements sheet and photo instructions for front, side, and back views. You have the measurements and digital photos taken by a local sewer, and email them back..
- If it’s a custom design, then
- design sketches are also provided.
- We’ll refine design details together that works within your budget.
- MaryGwyneth prepares the first draft of the pattern design, usually in muslin, based on your measurements, and send it to you for fitting and photos again by your local seamstress.
- Depending on the complexity of the design, how fitted the garment is, or how much needs to be done to the pattern, on average it takes 3 fittings to have a dress made, including the draft muslin. More complex pieces, special needs, or design changes may require more fittings.
- If it’s a custom design, then during the muslin fitting process, MaryGwyneth sends the last invoice for the final garment.
- The final garment is made from the fitted muslin and selected fabrics and trims.
- MaryGwyneth sends you interim photos of the work as it’s progressing, so you can enjoy it as it’s being made.
- When completed, MaryGwyneth ships your new piece to you!
- Plan well ahead of when you need the piece. Expect a made to order garment requiring special fitting to take at least three months to complete, under good circumstances. It takes time to make up your mind with the choices available. There are inevitable and unanticipated delays at both ends in turning around the work. Six to twelve months ahead is not unreasonable for a fine gown. Allowances will be made for size adjustments as the garment nears completion.
- Stay in touch to avoid miscues
- Think carefully before committing – changes to work in progress adds significantly to cost the farther along we get.
- Payment in full is required in advance for all made-to-order and custom designs.
- Payment may be made by money order, check, Paypal, Amazon Payments, or Google Checkout. Checks must clear both banks before payment is considered made.
- Work commences upon receipt of payment.
- A specified number of fittings at the MaryGwyneth studio, or prepaid costs for shipping the garment to you and back to the studio, are included in the quote, depending on your needs. Additional fittings will be at the buyer’s expense.
- Changes made after payment is received will incur additional interim payments.
- Additional charges apply for MaryGwyneth to travel to another location for fittings.
- All payments and fees are due before delivery.
To explore ordering a made-to-order or custom piece by MaryGwyneth, please complete the form below. Mary will contact you shortly, to schedule a time to discuss your special event and needs with you. Generally at least three months’ lead time is needed for an existing design, depending on the piece’s complexity, design changes, and current commitments.